I just returned from ten days of utter bliss at the healing oasis Sanoviv.
Grateful. Zenned Out. Uber healthy. Relaxed.
For the first five days, 24 of our coaches and I detoxed, learned and relaxed during our Wellness and Business Training Retreat. I stayed an additional five days for my Sanoviv Integrative Health Assessment. Since I don’t really care for the annual “check-ups” in the US, I go to Sanoviv every three years or so to decompress, do preventative health assessments and to learn any new cutting edge mind-body-spirit health tips that I can add to my coaching, programs and my own health routine.
So what did I learn from this visit to Sanoviv? How can you take the learnings at a healing oasis and use them in “real life”? How am I doing the same?
Since days of old, women’s circles have provided connection, support and expansion. It was amazing to see the transformation of 24 women in five days – not just from our raw food detox (and the ability of colonic conversations to shave off weeks of getting to know someone), but also from the bonding and learning from each other. Rosy cheeks, smiles, relaxed foreheads and eye-corners…some of the tell-tale signs of women enjoying and relaxing into themselves…and into each other’s company.
As a reformed (and still learning) “type A, driven business woman” who used to not make time for hanging out with women (what was I thinking?), I’ve become aware of how important it is to connect my women friends on a regular basis. How good it feels. How time with girlfriends increases my vibration, which in turn naturally helps both my business and life balance. Connect, enjoy, relax and everything else works better. Novel concept.
How can you use this in “real” life, outside of a retreat, knowing that connecting with women can naturally increase your life and business success?
- Create a Facebook group for a “tribe” of women that you resonate with. For your five best girlfriends. Your book club. Your friends at your Zumba® class. We created a Feb 2012 Sanoviv Wellness and Business Retreat Facebook Group for our coaches and it’s been so fun to see the dialogue, support, pictures, recipes, questions and tips flying back and forth.
- Start a once a month get together for women in your area with a different topic each time – Prosperity, Health, Communication, Purpose. Create a “tribe” of women that come together to learn from each other, relax, expand, laugh and play.
- Join a women’s group that resonates with you. I just started a 5 Week Tantric Dance of the Feminine Power course with a group of women and I can’t believe how happy it’s making me feel. How much that happiness has infused my business and life.
With stress now being attributed as the one of the leading causes of disease, Sanoviv knows the necessity of creating stillness and downtime. Curfew was at 9pm, which was welcomed since it’s amazing how tired one is after spending the day getting healthy! Internet and cell phones are not allowed in the main areas or your room (cell phones don’t work and there is no wi-fi). We could use the internet in the business room if absolutely necessary, but were encouraged to disconnect as much as possible – which was SO healthy for me. Stillness and non-busyness…hallelujah.
In addition, Sanoviv is built on the old Levi Strauss property and on/around an amazing energy vortex. You can literally feel the calm, still, beautiful healing vibe throughout the property and buildings. Which is why, of course, Dr. Wentz, founder of my product partner USANA Health Sciences and Sanoviv, chose to build his healing oasis in this exact location.
The original Strauss house is still intact, sits on a third of the property and is home to the meditation, psychology, piano, library and reading rooms. As soon as you walk into the house, you feel enveloped by stillness, peace and an immediate quietening of the mind and spirit. My favorite “part” of Sanoviv, I went there every day with a book and my journal. Staring out at the ocean, tucked up in a oversized chair, I allowed my body to relax into the stillness. No talking, no where to get, nothing to solve…just to relax and be still.
How can do this in “real” life and not just at a retreat?
- Have a self-professed no cell and internet day. (Or 1/2 a day if that is too scary). Sundays work great for this.
- Don’t think you HAVE to answer your cell if it rings. I never answer my cell unless the call has been scheduled or it’s a close friend/family member. Even then, a lot of times I will let it go to voice mail so I can respond rather than “react”.
- Take time to sit for 5-10 min on your own. Journal, breathe, read a book – whatever it is that calms you. Every day, do something for 5-10 min that encourages you to be STILL. To slow down. To feel your breath, your body and and your feelings. This is one of the best things to do for your long term health and enjoyment of TODAY. And remember, “if it’s not scheduled, it’s not real”- Marie Forleo. So schedule your 5-10 min like an appointment. I guarantee that your physical health and your emotional spirit will thank you for it. You will ENJOY your life more today. I know this from personal experience.
- Slow down the things you usually rush. For example, when I return from any outing or errands, typically I’m rushing to get out of the car and get everything put away as fast as I can. By the end of my whirling dervish ten minutes, I’m exhausted. Try this…slow down the very thing that you’re rushing. Imagine that you’re a “Zen Maven”. Notice how much it relaxes your nervous system and that it creates enjoyment in the moment…which is what it is ALL about.
Well…that’s not all I learned, but this is as long as I want my blog to be today! Stay tuned for more tips and Sanoviv recipes coming up….
Love in-depth nutrition and mind-body spirit wellness training? Join me for my SexyFit™ Spring Detox Online Nutrition Program. You’ll have access to all my best health and lifestyle training, coaching calls with me and an uber supportive group of like-minded women to cheer you on.
Register TODAY to secure your seat (we had 131 participants for our January challenge from five countries!)
Here’s all the info:
March Spring Detox SexyFit™ Nutrition Program
Getting You Healthy, Happy and Vibrant in 30 Days!
Sunday, March 11 – Monday, April 9th (Prep Week starts March 3rd)
- Registration Ends Tuesday, Feb 28th at midnight
- Lose 5-15 lbs in 30 days, healthily and learn a lifestyle that you can do for life.
- All Participants with receive their login details on Saturday, March 3rd to start with Goal Setting and Prep Week content. The full 30-Day Program starts Sunday, March 11 with our prep call, and the 5 Day RESET Cleanse will start on Monday, March 12th.
- Read the 30-Day Program Details here
- Space is Limited, so register now.
Be Happy….Be Vibrant…Read More
Hello from Sanoviv!
After five days of our Live Well Coach Wellness Business Retreat and five days here on my own, I am feeling thoroughly detoxed, blissed out, slowed down and zen-ified. Grateful. Restored. Centered.
Driving back to Laguna this weekend, so I’m soaking in the last few days in healing paradise. (Sanoviv is built on an energy vortex and that you can literally FEEL the healing quality here). Click here (my Facebook page, so you may have to “like” if you haven’t been to it before) to see some gorgeous pictures of the facility and 25 very happy women enjoying gourmet raw food, sea weed wraps, cutting edge wellness education and each other.
Of course I don’t want to leave, but I’m also chomping at the bit to share my favorite nutrition and mind-body-spirit wellness learnings when I get back. Especially tools to slow down the rhythm of your life to SAVOR and more fully enjoy each day. Why slowing down is crucial to being profoundly and deeply connected to yourself. How to take a retreat experience and infuse it into your every day life. How to generate your own healing and increase your vibration. Yummy, easy raw food recipes too…stay tuned!
I’ve been taking a “technology break” as Sanoviv suggests, except for a few important things, and this one counts as there is only 6 more days to register.
As you know, I love everything that the HG Life Coaching does – especially if it’s Laurie Gerber (President of Handel and co-host for our “Dive Into the Promise” tele-seminar 2 weeks ago) or Juliana Gambrell (my own coach). The 4-week tele-seminar format is so user-friendly too because you can fit it into your daily life AND have enough time to integrate between each session. Here’s all the details…
Why Love Fades & How To Keep It Vibrant: 4-Week Teleseminar Series*
Join coach Laurie Gerber, President of Handel Group® Life Coaching and proud wife of Will Craig, to learn why love fades and how to keep it strong and vibrant. This 4-week teleseminar series is perfect for any individual in a couple who is struggling or just wants to make sure the good stuff continues on forever. Naturally, it just doesn’t. We invite you to think that love fading over time is a call to action, because you understand that developing mastery as a partner matters and works to make your relationship loving and lasting. We’ll teach you the basics of how to keep love thriving!
4 Wednesdays – 2/15, 2/22, 2/29 & 3/7
12pm-1pm ET (that’s 10am-11am MT)
$100 ($90 with promo code)
Led by: Laurie Gerber
SAVE $10 WHEN YOU REGISTER WITH PROMO CODE: Marshall104play
*All calls will be recorded and available to those who sign up in advance.
Okay…I’m going dark. Off to bed for 9pm “curfew”- isn’t that a great “rule” that they have here to promote health? Sleeping with the doors open to the ocean, waking up with the sun…
PS: Want a “taste” of what the tele-seminar will be like? Here’s Laurie’s latest blog: Should You Be Arrested For Your Love Crimes? She’s a GREAT writer – content and delivery.
Be Happy….Be Vibrant…Read More
Here it is! “Surviving the Holiday Season – Part 2″ – strategies that I’ve used both personally and with clients over the years. As always, I love to read your comments below the blog as to what is helping you personally…AND, I would love to hear YOUR best tips too!
1. Never go to a party or outing hungry: I remember in my 20’s believing that if I was going out for dinner, I should eat less during the day to compensate for all the extra calories I would be eating at the event. You’d think I would have realized my faulty thinking after a few times of starving myself during the day, and then being so hungry at the party that I would eat EVERTHING. LOL…it took me a few YEARS to figure that out! Now, I never go to an event hungry. I eat normally throughout the day and then drink a USANA Nutrimeal* or eat a USANA Nutrition Bar* before going out, to avoid last minute party cravings. Other “magic tricks” while at a party:
2. Fill your plate with fruit & veggies at parties so people aren’t asking why you aren’t eating cake and cookies (and offer to bring a fruit or veggie tray, so there ARE fruits and veggies.)
And while we’re on the topic of bringing healthy foods to parties, check out Elizabeth Rider’s Whole Eating Cookbook – only $9.95 – for ideas on healthy, low glycemic appetizers. All SexyFit compliant of course!
3. Have sparkling water with a lime in a highball glass or wine glass to avoid any unwanted pressure to drink, and to give you something “fun” to sip on.
4. This is YOUR Life. How many times do we give in when someone says, “Oh, come on, you can have just one…it’s the holidays!”. Don’t let others try to talk you into being unhealthy and incongruent with your health goals. You’re not high maintenance, you’re not weird, you simply care about your health and wellness. Often times, you will be an inspiration that they can do it too.
5. Drink MORE Water. Water makes up 60-70% of your body and EVERY system in your body depends on it. Drink 8-12 glasses (8oz each) minimum each day and add one more glass for each caffeinated and alcoholic beverage you have. Water will help you feel full, have more energy and better able to handle everything. I use the sparkling water in a wine glass with the lime trick ALL the time because if feels like a special drink, I know I’m drinking more water and no one asks me why I’m not drinking!
6. Lifestyle Choices: Choose how much sleep and exercise you need every day and make them nonnegotiable. I know myself, when I’m tired, I overeat – so I make sure to get my sleep because I know it has a huge impact on how I feel and what I do. Also, add on a stress-reduction method that works best for you, massage, Yoga, talking to a friend, reading a book, movies, etc.
7. It’s Okay to say “No.” Holidays can also be stressful for a number or reasons and an amazing DE-STRESSER can be learning to say “No.” You don’t have to go to every party. Imagine that? You can actually not go to everything you’re invited to! I personally feel so much relief when I create more space in my life by saying YES to the things I really want to do and NO to the things that aren’t a resounding YES!
8. What if you DO overindulge? We all do sometimes. Drink tons of water before going to bed and take 2-3 USANA Proflavanol C100* that night to detox the body, reduce inflammation and strengthen your immune system (aka the SexyFit™ Rescue Formula which you’ll learn about in the SexyFit™ Nutrition Challenge). In the morning, drink a large glass of water, have a USANA Nutrimeal* shake with your USANA MyHealthPak* to stabilize your blood sugar.
*For USANA products at wholesale prices, visit your USANA account or contact your local USANA representative, Live Well™ or SexyFit™ Coach.
Go for a workout or even a walk in the morning – the movement and endorphins will help you feel better and back on track. Most importantly, drink lots of water throughout the day, eat 5-6 small low glycemic meals/snacks during the day and don’t try to compensate by eating fewer calories, otherwise your metabolism will adjust and slow down and/or you’ll overeat later on during the evening.
9. Create Connection: Enjoy the Holiday Season for what it is about, family, friends, and connections – not just eating. It’s amazing when you take the focus off of food how many other things you will notice about the holidays!
10. And to get help you reach your 2012 Health Goals, my next SexyFit Nutrition Program is OPEN for registration!
My January SexyFit Nutriton Program is my most popular one because of New Year Resolutions, so register as soon as possible to secure your seat. Here’s all the info:
New Year SexyFit™ Nutrition Program
Getting You Healthy, Happy and Vibrant in 30 Days!
Sunday, January 15 – Monday, Feb 13th (Prep Week starts Jan 7th)
- Registration Opens Wednesday, December 14th and Ends Tuesday, January 3rd at midnight
- All Participants with receive their login details on Saturday, Jan 7th to start with Goal Setting and Prep Week content. The full 30-Day Program starts Sunday, January 15th with our evening prep call, and the 5 Day RESET Cleanse will start on Monday, January 16th.
- Read the 30-Day Program Details here
- Space is Limited, so register now.
Be Happy….Be Vibrant…Read More
“We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.” –Friedrich Nietzsche
This commercial was shot at the Liverpool Street Subway Station in London on Jan 15, 2009. Only the dancers knew what was happening; the general public didn’t have a clue what was about to unfold. This YouTube video had over 2 million hits in 15 days!
When you watch this video, notice what moves you or makes you smile. Is it the men in suits busting out in dance? The joy on the faces of both the dancers and the general public? The group of people having fun and doing something spontaneous? Is it the sense of connection among seemingly random people? (We’re all connected).
I have personally found that what moves, touches, or inspires us is usually what we need to create MORE of in our life. Articulate what you loved about this video in one sentence. Then ask yourself, how can you do one thing TODAY to create that in your life. How could you do it tomorrow? How could you do it the next day? Connecting to what moves us on a daily basis helps bring meaning, purpose and fulfillment into each day.
For me, dance is one the things that moves me the most and is the reason why I don’t let one day go by with out dancing at least once – even if it’s just in my living room. What is it for you? What puts a smile on your face? This is your life NOW… not next year, not tomorrow. When you do something that moves, touches, or inspires you at least once a day you’ll not only change your vibration in the present moment, but you’ll also naturally start attracting more of what you love into your life.
Be Happy….Be Vibrant…
Be Happy… Be Vibrant…
What do you love doing with friends or family that centers you? An example might be preparing a meal and sitting down and eating together. I have found that preparing food with friends/family with my HANDS is very grounding for me. Which is the perfect segue for the next question…
What foods ground you? For me, I always eat a large green salad (kale, spinach, romaine) everyday as I have found that “green” foods balance my brain and my mood. And who knew that spinach and or romaine lettuce taste great in USANA Nutrimeal shakes?! Look out for Live Well “Green Food” recipes coming soon.
What places ground you? Personally, as soon I enter a bookstore, like The Tattered Cover, I feel centered, grounded and “at home.” Palm trees and beaches also ground me immediately.
What personal “rituals” center you? Lighting candles at night, playing a personally designed “iTunes playlist,” meditating or just sitting in silence a couple of times a day (am and pm) can all be extremely centering.
What TWO other things ground you personally? Often, what grounds us personally are the simplest things that are unique to us (laying on the floor grounds me immediately).
Discover the many things that center you and incorporate at least one thing into your daily life. Know yourself and take charge of your life. Every day is your own, create life… make each day a yummy, precious day.
I’ve learned over the years that while it can be easy to set goals for the future (2011), it’s just as important to commemorate and celebrate all we did in the past (2010). I first heard of this idea from Cheryl Richardson, author of “Stand Up for Your Life,” five years ago and have been doing it ever since. Look back first, commemorate & celebrate yourself…and then set your goals for 2011.
What does this do?
- It helps us remember the years as they fly by… and they’re going faster and faster, don’t you think? I remember last year when I did my “2009 Highlights” and then looked back at my 06, 07 and 08 highlights, I said to myself, “I did that? Wow, I totally forgot about that!”
- It pats YOU on the back and helps you realize how much you DID do, even if there are still many things you want to accomplish in 2011. It puts you in a “grateful” state of mind, rather than a “guilt-full” state of mind for anything that you didn’t accomplish. And which is a better state of mind to set goals/enter 2011 in? We have LOTS of time to accomplish all we what we want to do and it’s so important to recognize ALL that you did do last year. When you look at what you DID do and then set your goals from that mental state, you’ll feel empowered, excited and positive.
- It helps you “close” 2010 and embark with renewed energy for 2011. Energetically this is very powerful….
So what is the best way to do this?
- Use the simple categories below to jot down the highlights of last year. Feel free to add or eliminate any categories applicable to the life you want to create – these are just the ones I use. Cut and paste them into a word document. You can do this NOW very briefly to get you going – don’t think, just write down 1-2 things in each category that come to mind – go back and fill in more later.
- Have fun with it - do it yourself or with family, a significant other, partner, etc. This is a great thing to teach children* as well – to remember, celebrate…and then set goals.
- Celebrate ALL that you did and then set your goals in using the same/and or additional categories. SAVE both documents for future reference.
- Enjoy! I love doing this every year…one of my favorite things to do between Christmas and New Year’s!
2010 Highlights (then I do the same for my 2011 Goals)
- Zumba Classes
- Personal Development
- Charity/Giving Back
- Fun stuff
- New Restaurants
- New Books
- Accomplishments & Achievements
- Things I’ve learned
*One the most significant events in my childhood was hearing a 50 year old man speak about setting 100 goals, and that by 50 years old, he had achieved 80% of those goals he had written down as a young man. I have been writing down goals ever since then and it has helped create my whole life. Goal setting is so important and should be taught in schools. It’s not, so it is something we need to teach the upcoming generation.
P.S. For those of you who have been doing this with me for the past few years… here is something I received last year from a Cheryl Richardson email, which can add another element to the exercise. For new Live Well Members and Clients – just do the 1st exercise and then add on if you like
Excerpts from “Bon Voyage 200_!” by Cheryl Richardson
- If you had to pick a theme of growth for 200_, what would it be? What did you most need to learn? What changes have you made that let you know you got the lesson?
- What one thing are you still beating yourself up about? Are you ready to do what it takes to put an end to this hurtful behavior? Okay, then. What do you need to do right now to get started?
- What did you accomplish last year that made you feel good about yourself and how did you celebrate? If you didn’t celebrate, what will you do this week?
- How was 200_ perfect for you? What happened, good or bad, that forced you to wake up and see your life with clarity and truth?
- Finally, as you think back over the last year, take some time to think about the people who influenced your growth – the ones who hurt you and the ones who supported you – and, in your own private way, thank them for their contribution to your life. Get ready for a “Mighty Fine 2011!”
Take Action Challenge:
Between Christmas and New Year’s, or over the next week, while things are still fairly quiet and calm, take some time to answer the above questions in a notebook or journal. Use this ritual as an opportunity to say goodbye to the past and hello to a bright new year.
Be Happy…Be Vibrant…Read More
We all know that exercise is extremely important to our long term health, mental outlook, energy levels and weight management. However, it can be one of the first things to go when we become busy, travel or that we have never made time for in the first place because….(fill in the blank)
Like any good health habit, it’s what we do consistently, and especially when we’re the “busiest”, that has the most impact on our wellness.
So, what can you do to make exercise a fun part of your life – no matter what is going on in your life?
- Do something that you LOVE. If you detest running, for goodness sake, don’t run! Dancing, rollerblading, Pilates, bike riding, etc. all count as exercise. In addition, try new exercise formats so you don’t get bored. Exercise should be always be FUN, not tedious.
- You don’t have to be a “gym rat” to get results from exercising. Five times per week for 30 min provides great health benefits. If you’re new to exercise, start off with 3 days per week at 30 min…and gradually increase frequency, duration and intensity. Slowly build.Fit, active adults – 6 times per week for 60 min. Always take 1 day off per week – this is absolutely crucial as this is how the body repairs itself and gets stronger.
- Mix it up. Variety is key for the body, mind and soul. My “rule” for exercise variety is 3 Cardio, 2 Weights and 1 Mind/Body per week. Women – weight training is so important for bone health, metabolism and weight management. Weights help keep you toned, fit and lean. If you are new to weights – start with a class, DVD or hire a personal trainer for 6 sessions at a gym (they aren’t as expensive as you may think and will “de-mystify” weights and help you with correct form).Below are some ideas for Cardio, Weights and Mind/Body Fitness. Adjust for how many times a week you are exercising.
- cardio classes – walking/running, kickboxing, swimming, aerobics, dance, ZUMBA , roller blading, etc.
- 1-2 Weight Training – classes, gym, videos
- 1 Mind-Body-Spirit Class for stretching/flexibility, etc. – choose from yoga, Pilates, etc.
- 1 Day off
- Schedule your workout time and make it non-negotiable. Put the “oxygen mask” on yourself first – your family, business/job and friends will benefit from your new found energy, immune system and outlook on life Decide when you like exercising and when you are most likely to go. For example, I love exercising in the morning (my energy/motivation is at it’s highest then). I also know if I don’t exercise in the am, I won’t do it later on in the day because I get “busy” AND don’t seem to have the same energy/motivation to go. After deciding what is best for your body, “schedule” at least 5 times per week (3 if you’re new, 6 if you’re fit) in your calendar every Sunday night for the following week. Treat your “appointment” like a wonderful restaurant reservation that took you months to make
- Set yourself up to succeed. Have your gym bag ready, clothes inside, water bottle filled etc. For example, I usually go to the gym or teach a class around 9am. If I am rushing around in the morning, I end up out the door without something I need, or worse, I’m late. So, knowing my personality, I now get my gym bag ready the night before, water bottle filled – so I’m out the door when I need to be, with no excuses, on time and with everything I need
- Make working out something you look forward to. Have great music on your iPod. If you’re bored of your gym routine or running – get new music! Wear gym outfits (www.lululemon.com is my favorite) that you LOVE, are excited to wear and make you feel good when you’re exercising. Your body is what you will live in for years and years – enjoy it, love it, celebrate it
- Subscribe to a fitness magazine for inspiration, new ideas, health recipes, playlists, fitness clothing suggestions etc. My two favorites are Shape and Oxygen. For $14 per year, they so incredibly worth it.
- Get an exercise buddy. Research shows that we are more likely to exercise with a friend – it keeps us accountable, is more fun and builds friendships.
- Set little goals and rewards (non food) for going to the gym (or exercising) 5 times per week…(or whatever your goal is). Reward yourself for little things – every little step counts.
- Don’t let more than 2 days go by without exercising. I don’t know where I heard that idea, but it is one of the best concepts I have used throughout the years. I started exercising to “aerobics videos” in the 80’s (scary thought – remember those brightly colored leotards?) when I was 14 and since then, it became my “rule” for myself. It helps because you never get out of the rhythm of exercising and often when we don’t feel like exercising, it’s when we need to the most. Movement SHIFTS everything, and quickly – moods, emotions, an over indulgent night of food/wine … and you end up feeling great.
- Maintain your routine when it is the hardest as this is when you will get the most benefit. When we travel, visit friends/family, or are really busy – it’s even more important to exercise and eat well (take your USANA vits and shakes/bars even more regularly). When our normal routine is interrupted, endeavor to keep as many good habits going as possible. For example, when traveling, I usually run (20 min only sometimes) because I can do it anywhere/anytime and very quickly. Or, I lift weights if there is a gym where I am staying. I know this “routine” helps keep me balanced and centered – and everything else works better. Other options – walk with a family member after dinner when visiting, swim in the hotel pool, travel with yoga/Pilates DVD’s. Shorten your exercise time if need be, but keep the routine going.
Have a great week and your body will thank you for moving! As NIA’s (a beautiful dance modality I used to teach before Zumba®) tagline says, through movement we find health!
- Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio
What a great quote. One of my personal goals this summer is to take a nature break every day – no matter how busy I “think” I am. I’m going to get outside in the sun and soak in natural vitamin D, walk barefoot in the sand, breathe lots of fresh air and use the earth, sky, water and green plants as a grounding and restorative force.
Sun, fresh air and nature have the ability to nourish us our body at a deep level – and yet “the easiest thing to do, is the easiest thing not to do” (one of my favorite quotes by Jim Rohn).
Of course, there are so many excuses that can prevent us from not getting outside at least once a day…I’m too busy, it’s raining, I’m tired etc. I remember one of my excuses during a glorious Denver summer a couple of years ago, “I need to get the Live Well website up”. And before I (and Liz Rider, my co-conspirator for the Live Well Website) knew it, the summer was gone.
After that experience of seeing a whole season fly by, I promised myself I would appreciate every summer forward…and luxuriate in the outdoors at least once a day. As Thoreau says, “Nature is a tonic for the soul.”
What are some ways that you can easily get outside every day?
- Lunch breaks – sit outside. Make it a goal that every lunch hour possible you sit outside with a friend – to enjoy sunshine and great conversation.
- Take a 10 min break during the day to get outside – 10 min can make all the difference, and like meditation, will actually give you MORE time throughout the day.
- Go for a walk after dinner with a family member or friend.
- Look for chances to get outside – restaurant patios, waiting for your car to be washed, etc.
- Go to a park and sit on the grass. Actually connecting with the earth is very grounding for the body. Consciously appreciate the sky, sun, earth, air and green plants.
- Go somewhere where there is water – a stream, a lake, a river. Many cities have a river running through them, or streams in a park - so there are many places that you can enjoy the healing and meditative sound of water.
A good friend of mine called the other day to tell me about a quote he had seen framed on a wall while showing a property to one of his clients. What a GREAT question to ask ourselves every day, “Is what you’re doing TODAY worth a day in your life?”
So how do you make every day of your life worthwhile? By bringing joy, passion and purpose into what you do every day. And how do you do this? These are the three things that have worked for me.
Step #1 Right now, write down 3 things that you LOVE doing. Decide that once a day, you are going to do something that pertains to one of those things. For example, I LOVE dancing and anything to do with dance. So everyday I do something that incorporates dance like choreographing 30 seconds of a song, listening to music that I could use, dancing madly in my bedroom, or just looking at a magazine that talks about dance or fitness.
You may have 5, 6, 7….20 things that you LOVE doing. List them and be sure to do something related to at least one at least once per day. This is an extremely important way to bring JOY into your life each and every day. Make time for it – this is YOUR life – you are meant to be doing what you love – even if it’s only for 5 min per day ☺
Step #2 Decide what ONE of your long term goals is. For example, let’s say that you want to run a marathon. Then decide that once a day (put it in your planner) you will do something to move you towards that goal (researching how long you need to train, making a plan, buying running shoes, etc.) Take baby steps that make you happy – working up to doing something once a day.
Step #3 Do something nice for someone else once a day. Pay for the person’s cappuccino (or green tea ☺) behind you in the line at Starbucks, buy a friend’s lunch, take a friend to a movie, loan someone a book you love, call a friend out of the blue just to say hello, have a REAL conversation with the person behind the service counter, genuinely compliment someone, offer to help.
Did you know that it not only gives you and the recipient joy – but also any observers? The “observer” of a kind act derives as much benefit as the giver and receiver. What an EASY way to positively affect 3 people – who will then go on and affect others.
So…do something you LOVE every day, one thing that takes you closer to your goals/purpose and something nice for someone else. Joy and passion will then naturally happen everyday. Try it, it works!
Make EVERY day meaningful – it’s YOUR life after all ☺ You’re the author…
Be Happy…Be Vibrant…Read More