Looking Back to Move Forward
I’ve learned over the years that while it’s essential to set goals for the future (2012), it’s just as important to commemorate and celebrate all we did in the past (2011). I first heard of this idea from Cheryl Richardson, author of “Stand Up for Your Life,” six years ago and have been doing it ever since. Look back first, commemorate & celebrate yourself…and then set your goals for 2012.
What does this do?
- It helps us remember the years as they fly by… and they’re going faster and faster, don’t you think? I remember last year when I did my “2010 Highlights” and then looked back at my ’06-’09 highlights, I said to myself, “I did that? Wow, I totally forgot about that!”
- It pats YOU on the back and helps you realize how much you DID do, even if there are still many things you want to accomplish in 2012. It puts you in a “grateful” state of mind, rather than a “guilt-full” state of mind for anything that you didn’t accomplish. And which is a better state of mind to set goals/enter 2012 in? When you acknowledge all that you DID do and then set your goals from that mental state, you’ll feel empowered, excited and positive.
- It helps you “close” 2011 and embark with renewed energy for 2012. Energetically this is very powerful….
So what is the best way to do this?
- Use the simple categories below to jot down the highlights of last year. Feel free to add or eliminate any categories applicable to the life you want to create – these are just the ones I use. Cut and paste them into a word document. You can do this NOW very briefly to get you going – don’t think, just write down 1-2 things in each category that come to mind – go back and fill in more later.
- Have fun with it – do it yourself or with family, a significant other, partner, etc. This is a great thing to teach children* as well – to remember, celebrate…and then set goals.
- Celebrate ALL that you did and then set your goals in using the same/and or additional categories. SAVE both documents for future reference.
- Enjoy! I love doing this every year…one of my favorite things to do between Christmas and New Year’s! This year I had a very FULL Christmas-New Year’s, so I am doing this today.
2011 Highlights (then I do the same for my 2012 Goals)
- Teaching Zumba
- Personal Development
- Charity/Giving Back
- Fun stuff
- New Restaurants
- New Books
- Accomplishments & Achievements
- Things I’ve learned
*One the most significant events in my childhood was hearing a 50 year old man speak about setting 100 goals, and that by 50 years old, he had achieved 80% of those goals he had written down as a young man. I have been writing down goals ever since then and it has helped create my whole life. Goal setting is so important and should be taught in schools. It’s not, so it is something we need to teach the upcoming generation.
Take Action Challenge:
Over the next week and/or weekend, go through your highlights of 2011 and then set goals for each category for 2012. Use this ritual as an opportunity to say goodbye to the past and hello to a bright new year.
PS: Need help with your 2012 Goal Setting?
I have an up-coming event I’m really excited about! I’ll be doing a one hour tele-seminar with Laurie Gerber, President of the Handel Group® (my personal Life Coaching Company of choice) on how to pinpoint and realize your dreams for 2012. Pre-register as soon as possible to save your seat (we only 100 lines for this seminar and is open to guests worldwide).
Dive Into the Promise of You
Did you ever wonder how YOU could be the person you always wanted to be? This one hour tele-seminar will help you to pinpoint your dreams, stop sabotaging yourself with excuses, and get yourself to do what you know you should do. President of Handel Group® Life Coaching, Laurie Gerber will lead this hour-long exploration into aligning our heart, mind and body with special guest Carmen Marshall, record-breaking wellness business consultant.
Wednesday, January 25th
Led by Laurie Gerber & Special Guest & Wellness-Business Consultant, Carmen Marshall
SAVE $10 WITH PROMO CODE: CARMEN10POY
Be Happy…Be Vibrant…